If you have not yet opened your section to students, if you post an Announcements, students will not receive the announcement in their email because the section isn't open. You can, however send students a message before the section is open using the Message tool. Students will receive this message in their email as long as they have their preferences set accordingly.
To do so:
- In the Administration block on the left side of your course, click Users, then Enrolled Users.
- For each student that you would like to send a message to, select the checkbox to the left of their name. You can select multiple students.
- If you would like to send a message to all students, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Select all # users.
- At the bottom of the page, in the Choose dropdown menu, select Send a message.
- Type your message in the box that pops up, then click Send message to # person.