OIT - Knowledge Base
Student Achievement Services
University Policy Repository
If you have a MS Word that contains sensitive information, you can password protect the document so that it can be safely transmitted via email or stored in a network file share. Be careful to not lose or forget the password as the document cannot be opened without it.
To encrypt and password protect your document, follow these steps in Microsoft Word
- Open the doc you want to protect.
- Choose File > Info > Protect Document.
- Select Encrypt with Password.
- The Encrypt Document dialog box appears; type your password into the text box and repeat when prompted.
- Save your document - it is now encrypted and password-protected.
If you're sending the protected file to someone via email, be sure to provide the password to the recipient through a means that is not email such as a phone call or text message.