OIT - Knowledge Base
Student Achievement Services
University Policy Repository
Entering header information in an Expense Report 9.2
To add one more new lines, your options are to either copy from an existing line, or add an entirely new line or lines. Click the drop down to the lower right. There are three options:
- Expenses from My Wallet: select this option to add My Wallet entries to your expense report.
Adding One Card charges from My Wallet
- Multiple Expenses: select this option to access a page where you can select multiple Expense Types and add them as new rows.
- New Expense: select this option to add a single new expense line.
Once you have made your selection click Add. A new row will be added to the bottom of the grid.
To add multiple rows, choose that option in the drop down menu and click Add.
Once you click Add, the page below will be displayed. Update the date range as appropriate for your dates of travel or expenditure. Then go through the list of Expense Types and select the ones you want to add.
For each Expense Type, you can choose to either add it for All Days or for One Day. In this example, we will add Per Diem for All Days and Mileage for One Day. When complete click the Continue button.
The system will add the requested new rows at the bottom of the grid.
You can also choose to Copy any other line(s) on your expense report. To use this function, click the Select checkbox(es) for the lines you wish to copy from and click on the Copy Selected button.
The system will then create new rows with the data from the originals and you can update as needed to match the details of the new expense.
- Expense Date: enter the date that the expense was incurred.
- Amount Spent: enter the amount in US Dollars. This will be grayed out for items like Mileage, because you will enter the number of milese on the Mileage tab and the system will calculate the amount due.
- Currency: do not change.
- Payment Type: One Card charges can be interfaced with your wallet, so all out of pocket charges should be marked as employee paid.
- Accounting Detail icon: if you need to charge the item to a different chartfield in your Accounting Defaults, click the Account details icon and proceed as show here: How do I review and makes changes to my expense lines?
- Attendees: If you need to indicate Attendees for a meal or entertainment, click the Attendees icon and proceed as described in the above link.
Most expense types require a Description to be entered, for the reason that the expense was incurred. For airfare, train, mileage or other transportation types, note where you traveled from and to. The Non-Reimb checkbox is not applicable for any Clarkson expenses. Do not use it.
The No Receipt checkbox is used to indicate that you do not have a receipt for a specific expense over $75. If you check this box, you will be prompted to enter a reason why the receipt is missing after you Check for Errors or Save.
Some expense types require Location information to be entered. Since a Default Location is required in the Header Information, if the expense type you are using requires a Location, the location you entered in the Default Location field will be displayed here. You can change it if necessary.
In this example, Location is a required field for the Per Diem Expense Type. When the lines were added, the system used FL - Orlando as the Location, because this what was entered into the Default Location field of the header.
With a few exceptions, such as Mileage and Per Diems, all expense lines will require you to enter a Merchant. Please note Clarkson is not using Preferred Merchants at this time. For consistency sake, please enter merchant names in ALL CAPS.
Airline tickets and hotel charges have an additional information requirement. For airline tickets, you must enter the Ticket Number on the Air/Hotel tab, and for hotel stays, you must enter the number of nights stayed at the hotel.
Employees are reimbursed for mileage at a flat rate. When creating your expense report, select the Mileage expense type. You will need to enter the number of miles driven on the Mileage tab of the Details grid. Please note that the distance must be entered in whole miles.
The system is capable of using the effective date for the mileage rate; therefore, it is important to use the correct date when entering your mileage. For example, if the mileage rate was $.50 per mile until 12/31/2011, and then changed to $.60 per mile as of 1/1/2012, the system will base your rate on the date you entered for the expense line. If the mileage was incurred on 12/15/2011, you will be reimbursed at the $.50.
Because the system can calculate mileage changes for different dates, please create a separate line for each day that you incur mileage expense.
Per Diem Tab:
Clarkson employees that use a Per Diem can adjust the amount of the Per Diem for meals that are either not taken, or paid by someone else. On the Per Diem tab, do not change the Start Time or End Time.
If any meals were not allowable, click the Per Diem Deductions icon to the right of the Per Diem line(s). Reasons that a meal may not be allowable include:
Another person paid for the meal.
- The meal was provided as part of another expense, such as free breakfast at a hotel or lunch during a conference.
- You were not traveling during the meal time; for example, you left on your trip at 1:00pm, so don't get breakfast.
- You paid for a meal as part of a group meal.
On the Per Diem Deductions page, check the Deduction Flag for any meal for which you are not entitled to payment. The system will deduct the specified percentage from your Per Diem, and reimburse the difference to you. These could include meals paid for by a co-worker, meals provided at a conference, as well as meals that you charged to your One Card.
Click OK when finished.
Back on the Per Diem tab, click the Recalculate icon for the line to show your reimbursement amount.
Clarkson does not maintain daily currency exchange rates in PeopleSoft, so if you incur an out-of-pocket expense, enter it in US Dollars on your expense report. You can attach any supporting exchange rate documentation to your expense report.
Credit card charges will be interfaced with the correct US Dollar value and exchange rate.