Configuring an IM Client to connect to Clarkson's Instant Messenger Server.
Clarkson uses Pidgin as the main IM Client for on-campus secure communications.
- Download the Pidgin client from https://pidgin.im/
- After the initial install is done open Pidgin. It should look like this.
- Click on "Accounts" and then "Manage Accounts".
- A new "Accounts" window should appear.
- Click "Add" at the bottom. A new "Add Account" window should appear.
On the "Basic" tab please use these settings.
Username: your CU username
Password (you can choose to save your password)
Local Alias: if you'd rather put your name here instead of your username
- Now click on the "Advanced" tab at the top.
Use the following settings...
Connection security: Require encryption
Connection Port: 5222
Connect Server: im.clarkson.edu
File transfer proxies: im.clarkson.edu
- Click "Add" at the bottom and you account should connect to the IM server.
- When signing in for the first time it will ask you to accept the server's certificate. Just click "accept".