OIT - Knowledge Base
Student Achievement Services
University Policy Repository
Effective Date: March 1986
This policy applies to full-time staff members across all University departments, institutes, Centers, and Schools. Individuals represented by a collective bargaining unit will be covered by their contract agreement.
Table of Contents
- Policy Purpose
- Policy Statement
This policy defines the employee hours of work and work schedules. It outlines the need for employees to adhere to established work schedules to maintain efficient, effective University operations throughout.
The working hours at the University for full-time active employees are as below:
- The normal workweek for staff is thirty-seven and a half hours per week / forty hours per week, as applicable based on their positions.
- The normal workday is seven and a half hours, from 8:00am to 4:30pm with one hour off daily for lunch.
- Summer hours, which typically go into place the day after Commencement, run from 8:00am to 4:00pm with 30 minutes off daily for lunch.
Some departments of the University vary the basic schedule to provide the necessary service demanded by their special function. Scheduling in some departments requires that beginning times or days of work must be staggered, rotated, or assigned to provide the required service. However, in all other cases the normal workweek of thirty-seven and a half or forty hours will be observed.
For payroll purposes the University's normal work week is the calendar week starting 12:01 a.m. Sunday through 12:00 midnight the following Saturday.
- OM 2.5.0 Periods of Duty - Administrative Offices
- OM 3.1.19 Flexible Work Schedule and Remote Work Policy
Revised March 1986
Editorial Revision July 1989
Revised by University Governance February 2022