To encrypt and password protect your pdf, follow these steps in Adobe Acrobat. The full (paid) version of Acrobat is required. If you do not have it, please contact the IT HelpDesk for assistance in obtaining it. There is a license fee required.
- Open the PDF you want to protect.
- Choose Tools > Protect > Encrypt > Encrypt with Password.
- If you receive a prompt, click Yes to change the security.
- Select Require A Password To Open The Document, then type the password in the text box.
- Select an Acrobat version from the Compatibility drop-down menu. The default is usually fine.
- Select the Encrypt all document contents radio button.
- Click OK
- Confirm your password when prompted, and click OK again. Your file is now encrypted and password-protected.