|Table of Contents|
As chief executive officer of a University-level Institute or Center, the Director is responsible for the proper and effective administration of the unit. It is the Director's responsibility to provide the leadership to achieve the highest possible level of excellence in achieving the objectives of the organized unit and its related activities. The Director shall serve as representative and spokesperson for the Institute or Center, and shall seek the advice and counsel of Institute/Center colleagues and other administrators as appropriate. Specifically, the Director shall:
- Provide the leadership required to achieve the objectives of the Institute/Center as outlined in its organizational plan.
- Provide leadership and facilitate collaboration in interdisciplinary, interschool, and University-wide activities;
- Supervise the execution of University policies within the Institute/Center;
- Formulate and execute Institute/Center policies and procedures;
- Establish an intellectual climate and working conditions that will encourage the professional development of affiliates or members of the Institute/Center;
- Prepare the budget proposal for the Institute/Center and supervise expenditure of the funds allocated thereunto;
- Assist officers of the administration in interpreting programs, plans, and needs of the Institute/Center to appropriate outside agencies;
- Supervise the use and assignment of Institute/Center space, facilities, equipment, and supplies;
- Participate (with Academic Director where relevant) in the annual performance evaluation of faculty who affiliate have appointments or joint appointments with the Institute/Center;
- Recommend appointments and supervise the work of non-academic staff of the unit.
In addition, Institute Directors or Academic Directors shall:
- Assume the initiative in the recruitment of new faculty members who will be appointed to the institute, ensuring they will have the highest possible quality and potential to contribute to the evolution and implementation of the strategic vision of the institution;
- Conduct the annual performance evaluation of faculty who affiliate have appointments or joint appointments with the Institute/Center;
- Make recommendations to the Provost for new appointments, reappointments, salary changes, termination, tenure, leaves of absence, and promotions for faculty appointed to the institute;
- Arrange teaching assignments and organize the teaching program for faculty appointed to the institute to make the most efficient use of the faculty;
- Evaluate the educational activities of the Institute, formulate plans for its future development, and transmit these plans to the Provost;
- Direct an effective advisory program for all students registered as majors in the Institute;
- Review periodically with the Institute faculty those University regulations that bear directly on their teaching and advising functions, with particular emphasis on academic integrity.