OIT - Knowledge Base
Student Achievement Services
University Policy Repository
Sample Chartfield String
- Numeric 3-digits
- Determines the overall purpose of the chartfield string
- Examples: Department Operations (Fund 100), Scholarships, Construction, Grants, etc.
- Aligns with the organizational unit
- Examples: 35710 CRC Engineering Program, 60000 Controller's Office
- Projects are numeric 5-digits
- Grants are numeric 6-digits
- Used with all Funds except Fund 100 (Department Operations)
- Random numbers are assigned to specific Projects/Grants
- Numeric 4-digits
- Details the type of Expense, Revenue, Asset or Liability
- If the code starts with..
- 1*** = Revenue - Tuition, Ticket Sales, etc.
- 2*** = Expense - Salary, Wages, Supplies, etc.
- 21** - Payroll Expenses
- 22** - Fringe Benefit Expenses
- 23** through 26** - Department/Project/Grant operating expenses
- 27** - Scholarships, Student Aid
- 28** - Transfers between Funds
- 29** - Utilities and Accounting Specific
- 3*** = Construction in Progress - used exclusively with Fund 730
- 4*** = Student Organizations - used exclusively with Funds 884/885
- 5*** = Assets - Equipment, Investments, etc.
- 7*** = Liabilities - Accounts Payable, Bond Payable, etc.
- Numeric 3-digits
- Provides financial statement classification - Instruction, Student Support, etc.
- Mandatory when using an Account that starts with a 1*** or 2***
- Accounts starting with a 1*** use a Program Code starting with a 1**
- Accounts starting with a 2*** use a Program Code starting with a 2**
- Speedcharts are shortcuts for entering a chartfield string.
- For Departmental spending, use the Department number with a D on the end. This will populate the entire chartfield string except the Account, which will need to be populated manually.
- For Project/Grant spending, use the Project/Grant number with a P on the end. This will populate the entire chartfield string except the Account, which will need to be populated manually.
- When purchasing an asset (a piece of equipment with a value of $5,000 or greater and useful life of 2 years or more), use the Department number with DEQ or the Project/Grant number with PEQ. These will populate the entire chartfield string.