- Participant support costs are direct costs such as stipends or subsistence allowances, travel allowances and registration fees paid to or on behalf of participants or trainees (but not employees) in connection with conferences or training projects.
- Any rebudgeting of Participant Supports Costs to another budget category requires the approval of the Federal agency. For non-Federal sponsors, award specific guidelines should be consulted before rebudgeting Participant Support Costs.
- Participant Support Costs do not include honoraria for guest speakers, expenses for the PI, project staff or collaborators to attend project meetings, conferences, or seminars, payments to GRAs, or payments made to research subjects as an incentive for recruitment or participation in a research project.
- Participant support costs should now be excluded from the MTDC.
- Must be explicitly included in the budget and justification.
- Review current practice and verify projects are tracking participant support costs in a separate account. (Shannon Robinson)
- Pre-award review and modify processes/budgeting practices to ensure participant costs are excluded from the MTDC. (Todd Travis)
- Update Division of Research reference material and internal work instructions. (Shannon Robinson)
- Verify if there is an impact to the F&A base (by excluding participant support costs). (Anna Marie Dawley, Kelly Rathbun)
- Updating of Division of Research reference material and internal work instructions to be completed.