Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

Version 1 Next »


Students may take a "standard period of non-enrollment" during their program at Clarkson. Students on SPN will not enroll in classes for a term, will be reported to the Clearinghouse as "withdrawn", and have no active relationship with the University.  A student may choose to go on SPN for various reasons, such as a major life or work related event, financial, or academic reasons.  SPN is not considered a permanent status, and a student may not remain on SPN for an indefinite period of time.  When an SPN is selected, a timeline for return should be discussed and decided upon. 

General Timeline

A student may chose to go on SPN any time before attending classes for a term.  An SPN, by definition, is a minimum of 1 term, but can extend up to a full year if needed. An SPN should not extend beyond 1 year, unless approved by the academic department. 

Basic Steps

The student will contact their Grad Coordinator and request a standard period of non-enrollment. The student will be advised accordingly (academic and financial). 

The Grad Coordinator will notify the Registrar's office, which will update the student's record. 

In preparation for enrollment into the return term, a student on SPN will be reactivated and notified by the Registrar's office regarding the course enrollment process.  (The student can contact the Registrar's office, or their Grad Coordinator at any time, should their plans change.)

A student returning from SPN should contact their academic advisor, and enroll during the standard enrollment period whenever possible. Students who fail to enroll, and fail to respond to CU personnel may be withdrawn from their program.

A student who fails to return from SPN within 1 year, or ceases communication with the University, will be officially withdrawn.


  • Process Flowchart
  • Detailed Process Document
  • No labels