- The Director's appointments – Institute/center and, when appropriate, departmental appointments - will be stated in the form of objectives and goals for the respective units (institute/center and department) for the coming year, based on the mutual agreement of the Director and Provost or Dean and, possibly, Department Chair, as appropriate;
- The Director’s annual contract letter, which comes from the Provost or Dean, as appropriate, should explicitly state the mutually agreed objectives and goals for the respective units (center and department when applicable) for the coming year;
- The Director's full salary line goes to the Provost or Dean, as appropriate, for the duration of the Director's service; it returns to the Department upon conclusion of the directorship;
- A provision for appropriate buy-out by the Provost and/or Dean will be included in instances where Directorship duties of the individual result in a loss of effort to the home department;
- The Provost or Dean and, possibly, Department Chair, as appropriate by contract, provide input to the Director's annual performance evaluation;
- The Department Chair provides her/his recommendation, when appropriate, to the Provost or Dean for inclusion in the Director’s annual performance review document. The review document which will be prepared by the Provost;
- The Provost or Dean, as appropriate, develops the annual raise recommendation for the Director and takes into account the Department Chair’s recommendation when appropriate by contract..